Absolute Specialists Environmental Planning
Absolute Specialists is committed to promoting sustainability. Concern for the environment and promoting a broader sustainability agenda are integral to our professional activities and the management of the organisation. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our clients and partners to do the same.
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- To ensure that all staff and contractors are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
In order to put these principles into practice we will:
Travel and meetings
- Walk, cycle and/or use public transport to attend meetings, site visits etc where appropriate, apart from in circumstances where the alternatives are impractical and/or cost prohibitive.
- Long distance travel across the UK will normally will be undertaken by train.
- Avoid physically travelling to meetings etc where alternatives are available and practical, such as using teleconferencing, video conferencing or web cams, and efficient timing of meetings to avoid multiple trips. These options are also often more time efficient, while not sacrificing the benefits of regular contact with clients and partners.
- Reduce the need for our staff or contractors to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working etc.
Purchase of equipment and consumption of resources
- Minimise our use of paper and other consumables, for example by double-siding all paper used, and identifying opportunities to reduce waste.
- As far as possible arrange for the recycling of waste such as paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment.
- Reduce the energy consumption of equipment by purchasing energy efficient equipment and good housekeeping.
- Seek to purchase electricity from a supplier committed to renewable energy.
- Purchase fair-trade and/or organic beverages.
Our sustainability definition and ambition:
We believe in:
‘development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs’
‘improving the quality of life while living within the earth’s carrying capacities’.
What this means to us is that we operate our professional activities and the management of our organisation in a way that enables all people to realise their potential and improve their quality of life while protecting and enhancing the earth’s natural capital.
This aspiration is operationalised for our purposes by our sustainability objectives, targets and indicators. We are therefore committed to continually improve the integration of sustainability into our working environment and business processes. Our aim is to play a proactive role in contributing to achieving sustainability where we have influence. We are committed to accountability and transparency in our sustainability performance.